Monday, August 25, 2008

Surgeon pre-op exam

Thursday, August 21. Went to Dr. Dobson so he could do the rectal exam. He used a scope to look and see exactly how high up and where the polyp was positioned. Glad he thought it wouldn't hurt....

Was going to have my amazing husband come with me, but it was a simple exam and he was taking the next day off to take me for surgery so I didn't bother. BIG mistake. Had I only known.

The polyp wasn't on a little stalk like he thought. It is fixed to the wall of my rectum. He can't just easily remove only the polyp. Not sure what he needs to do. I have to go have an ultrasound done that will show how deep into the recal wall the polyp goes and it will also show if the lymph nodes around the rectum are affected.

That was the beginning of the bad news. He also told me that I have two small spots on my liver. He said it could be just a cyst or could be cancer. He said he was going to go to look at them personally that afternoon and that I would have to have a liver biopsy to decide what he needed to do about them. Joy.

So here I was thinking, ok, i have cancer. It's a little bitty spot, he'll take it out and I will have had cancer for all of a week. I can deal with that. All of a sudden it really isn't that easy. Now I get to sit and wait again. I am scheduled for an ultrasound on Wednesday, August 27th. This time I'm in no hurry for it to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment